Facts About SPACE
The School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPACE UTM) is one of the schools in UTM that offers and performs teaching and learning activities for UTM academic programmes such as UTM Foundation, UTM Diploma, Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) and International Degree Programmes (IDP), which have been accredited by MQA and/or professional bodies under the Public University Private Wing (PUPW) initiative. These programs are not listed under the Malaysian UPU system and are delivered both full-time or part-time.
SPACE UTM is headed by a Chair and reports to the Deputy Vice Chancellor of Academic and Internationalisation (DVCAA) of UTM. It is governed by the University Senate and complies to all regulations set forth by the Ministry of Higher Education, the Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA) and/or relevant professional bodies.
On 15 October 1992, the Ministry of Education Malaysia endorsed recommendation from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) to establish a School for Professional and Further Education. This School acts as a specialised centre for the implementation of lifelong learning programmes at the university level. This School was launched on July 1993, and known as the School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPACE).
In the early days of SPACE establishment, this centre offered part-time academic programmes in collaboration with UTM faculties, and organised seminars, conferences, workshops, and other development programmes for working professionals.
SPACE was rebranded as SPACE UTM in 2006. The term “UTM” was added to the SPACE UTM name in order to increase public trust on the functions and operations of the centre as a legitimate UTM entity.
Starting in 2000, SPACE UTM underwent rapid development due to the growing public interest on part-time programmes, as well as professional development programmes with various corporate companies. The centre also became a reference point to other institutions of higher learning for lifelong learning initiatives.
SPACE UTM was rebranded as UTM SPACE in 2009. In this rebranding exercise, the term “UTM” was shifted to the front in order to emphasise the status of UTM as the parent entity. This rebranding exercise was also aligned with the branding exercise that was implemented at UTM.
UTM was upgraded to a research university in June 2010. UTM restructured a few centres and faculties at the UTM Kuala Lumpur campus as a result of the new status. SPACE was also involved in this restructuring exercise, where it was merged with the Centre for Diploma Studies (Pusat Pengajian Diploma) UTM, as well as the Joint Programme Management Unit (Unit Pengurusan Program Kerjasama) UTM, which offered UTM academic programmes through collaboration with private colleges.
SPACE offers the following programmes:
1. UTM academic programmes. All academic programmes offered are subjected to UTM academic regulations.
- Foundation programme (full-time)
- Diploma programme (full-time & part-time)
- Degree programme (full-time & part-time)
2. UTM joint/collaboration programmes. The joint/collaboration programmes are conducted through collaboration with private colleges across the country. Currently there are 14 private colleges that are verified to deliver UTM joint/collaboration programmes.
3. Transnational programmes. UTM gives SPACE the responsibility to implement UTM academic programmes through franchise approach, offshore, or hybrid mode.
(update : 31 January 2020)
Vision & Mission
To provide quality continuing education programmes that are widely accessible, customized and flexible to meet customer expectations.
Leading Transnational Continuing Engineering Education.
1993 – 2000
- SPACE acquired a building at Taman Universiti, Skudai, equipped with comprehensive and sophisticated office facilities
- SPACE exclusively handled the Part-Time Study Programme and Distance Learning Study Programme for Diploma and Bachelor’s degree level
- Became the secretariat of the Distance Learning Study Programme
- Began to manage UTM Joint Programmes
- Began to offer mainstream academic programmes on part-time basis.
- SPACE set up a branch office at UTM City Campus, Kuala Lumpur
SPACE started operation at UTM main campus in Johor Bahru
2009 – 2010
- SPACE took over the management of UTM College of Science and Technology and the Joint Programme Management Unit
SPACE was rebranded as UTM SPACE. UTM SPACE participated in MOHE Edutourism International Programme
2013 – 2015
- UTM mandated SPACE to offer full-time diploma programmes.
- SPACE celebrated it’s 20th anniversary.
2016 – 2018
- SPACE celebrates 25th anniversary
- SPACE introduces UTM Foundation Programme, Bachelor of General Studies, and Bachelor of Business Administration
- SPACE starts TNE collaboration with Qaiwan University (Kurdistan), NIBM (Sri Lanka), AVID College (Maldives), Malaysian Consortium for Education Mauritius (Mauritius)
- Began to offer UTM International Degree Programme (UTMIDP) on full- time basis
PUPW Programme has been agreed by JPU of UTM.